Manjit

My photo
Zaikabharat brings you the authentic taste of India with mouthwatering, simple, and easy recipes. Cooking relieves stress for me, provides with an opportunity to be creative, boost my mood, and brings back wonderful memories of my mom's kitchen. I have been a culinary part-time instructor for several years in addition to my professional careers as a cancer research scientist, an educator, a healthcare administrator, and a community leader. I have done several cooking demos, TV shows, and I still continue to do so. I would like to share my cooking adventure through this blog and hope you enjoy these recipes.

Saturday, July 30, 2011

Rajma Masala (Red-Kidney Beans)


Pick, wash and soak rajma in water overnight. Boil it nicely with some salt. Canned kidney beans can also be used (I prefer soaked and boiled)

Ingredients:

2 cups red rajma boiled (red kidney beans)
4 tablespoons oil (I use expeller-pressed coconut oil, great for cooking)
4 bay leaves
4 cloves
1/2 teaspoon fenugreek (methi) dried leaves
3 green cardamoms
1 stick cinnamon
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
2 medium size finely chopped onions
1 inch ginger chopped
1 teaspoon garlic chopped
3 tablespoons tomato puree/paste
2 teaspoon coriander powder
1 teaspoon garam masala
1 tsp cumin powder
1/2 teaspoon red chilli powder (depends how spicy)
1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
1/2 teaspoon mango powder (amchur)
Salt to taste
Chopped coriander leaves to garnish

Preparation:
Take oil in a pan and add bay leaves, cloves, cinnamon and cardamom. Let them become brown until the flavors starts coming.
Add cumin seeds, cut onions, and cook until onions become soft and translucent.
Add ginger and garlic and continue to sauté till golden brown.
Add 1/4 cup of water and cook again till the onions, ginger-garlic, and whole spices blends together.
Add tomato puree/ paste, coriander powder, cumin powder, chilli powder, garam masala, turmeric powder, amchur powder, and salt. Stir them well until oil starts to separate from masalas.
Add rajma along with its water. Simmer the heat and cook for 10-15 minutes until beans are well blended with the gravy. Adjust salt and garam masala.
Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and serve it with naan or steamed rice.

No comments: