Manjit

My photo
Zaikabharat brings you the authentic taste of India with mouthwatering, simple, and easy recipes. Cooking relieves stress for me, provides with an opportunity to be creative, boost my mood, and brings back wonderful memories of my mom's kitchen. I have been a culinary part-time instructor for several years in addition to my professional careers as a cancer research scientist, an educator, a healthcare administrator, and a community leader. I have done several cooking demos, TV shows, and I still continue to do so. I would like to share my cooking adventure through this blog and hope you enjoy these recipes.

Monday, July 25, 2011

Shahi Gobhi (Cauliflower Dish)

Shahi Gobhi


Ingredients:
1 cauliflower floret
2 tablespoons butter/oil
1 medium size chopped or sliced onion
1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 inch chopped ginger
4 garlic cloves chopped
1 teaspoon sour cream
1 chopped tomato
2 chopped green chillies
pinch nutmeg
Few cashewnuts roasted
2 teaspoons grated coconut
1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
Salt to taste
1 tablespoon coriander leaves finely chopped for garnishing
1/2 cup peas can be added later.

Dry roast following ingredients and make paste by adding water or cream
(use garam masala for quick recipe)

3 cardamoms
5 cloves
2 teaspoons coriander seeds
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder (optional)
2-3 red chillies
7-8 cashew nuts

use 1tsp of dry roast masala (rest can be saved in a freezer or a fridge).

Preparation:
Heat oil (I use expeller – pressed coconut oil), add cumin seeds, onion, ginger, garlic chopped, grated coconut, and make it golden brown.
Add tomatoes, green chillies and cook for 4-5 min, add sour cream, black pepper, nutmeg, fresh paste masala, and cashews (roasted). Add salt to taste.
Add cauliflower, mix it well with all ingredients and 2-4 tbsp of water. Cover it with lid and cook. To make it dry, roast it on high flame without the lid for 2-3 minutes. Don't over-cook.
Add peas at the last when it is almost done (optional).
Garnish it with coriander leaves.

No comments: