Manjit

My photo
Zaikabharat brings you the authentic taste of India with mouthwatering, simple, and easy recipes. Cooking relieves stress for me, provides with an opportunity to be creative, boost my mood, and brings back wonderful memories of my mom's kitchen. I have been a culinary part-time instructor for several years in addition to my professional careers as a cancer research scientist, an educator, a healthcare administrator, and a community leader. I have done several cooking demos, TV shows, and I still continue to do so. I would like to share my cooking adventure through this blog and hope you enjoy these recipes.

Saturday, July 30, 2011

Turnip Greens

Stir Fried Turnip Greens


Fresh green leafy vegetables are good for health. They are tasty and have a great nutrition value as they are rich source of vitamin C, potassium, and calcium. They can be prepared in a variety of ways such as steaming, sautéing and stir frying. Fresh tender leaves can be used in salads, or stews.

Ingredients:
1 bunch turnip greens washed and roughly chopped
1 medium size onion finely chopped
1/4 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 teaspoon chopped garlic
1 teaspoon chopped ginger
1/2 teaspoon coriander powder
1 medium size chopped tomato chopped
1 tablespoon butter
2-3 green chillies chopped
Salt to taste

Preparation:
Heat butter in a pan. Add cumin seeds and saute till they turn brown.
Add onions and with constant stir make them translucent. Add ginger and garlic. Saute for 2-3 minutes.
Add tomatoes, and green chillies. Cook until all the above ingredients blends well.
Add turnip greens, coriander powder, and salt. Cook on medium to high heat covered with lid. This should be done in 5-8 minutes. (Don’t overcook the leaves----make sure lush green color stays intact).
Serve hot.

No comments: