Manjit

My photo
Zaikabharat brings you the authentic taste of India with mouthwatering, simple, and easy recipes. Cooking relieves stress for me, provides with an opportunity to be creative, boost my mood, and brings back wonderful memories of my mom's kitchen. I have been a culinary part-time instructor for several years in addition to my professional careers as a cancer research scientist, an educator, a healthcare administrator, and a community leader. I have done several cooking demos, TV shows, and I still continue to do so. I would like to share my cooking adventure through this blog and hope you enjoy these recipes.

Sunday, October 20, 2019

Rice Pulao



There are so many great rice recipes that are delicious and easy to cook. Pulao is one such recipe that can be pressure cooked or cooked in a pan by adding vegetables of your choice. You can use  basmati rice, simple rice or brown rice to make pulao. Rice is a grain that is rich source of fiber and about 98% percent digestible.
Ingredients:
2 cups basmati rice (I use Royal Basmati brand)
2 tablespoons oil
1/2 cup onion chopped
1/2 cup green peas
2 carrots diced
6-8 green beans chopped
2 bay leaves
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 cinnamon stick
2-3 cloves
4-5 peppercorns
Pinch of turmeric powder for color (optional)
4 cups of water
Salt to taste
Garnish of your choice (fried nuts or cilantro leaves)
Preparation:
Heat oil in a pan. Add bay leaves, cardamoms, cinnamon, cloves and cumin seeds. Sauté till the seeds splutter. Add peppercorns, turmeric and mix.
Add onions and saute till light brown.
Add carrot, beans, peas, and salt. Stir to mix, cover and cook for 2-3 minutes.
Add four cups of water and boil.
Add rice and cook in a pan until done or pressure cook with one whistle.
Open the lid and serve hot

No comments: