Manjit

My photo
Zaikabharat brings you the authentic taste of India with mouthwatering, simple, and easy recipes. Cooking relieves stress for me, provides with an opportunity to be creative, boost my mood, and brings back wonderful memories of my mom's kitchen. I have been a culinary part-time instructor for several years in addition to my professional careers as a cancer research scientist, an educator, a healthcare administrator, and a community leader. I have done several cooking demos, TV shows, and I still continue to do so. I would like to share my cooking adventure through this blog and hope you enjoy these recipes.

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Boondi Raita


Boondi raita is one of the most popular and traditional North Indian recipes. Boondis are made from gram flour in the form of small little balls. These balls are then deep fried in oil. Boondi is easily available in almost all Indian grocery stores. Make sure you buy a fresh stock and remaining unused can be stored in a refrigerator or in a freezer.

Ingredients:
1 pound dahi/yogurt
3 tablespoons of boondi
1/4 teaspoon mint flakes/powder (fresh finely chopped gives good flavor)
1/2 teaspoon cumin powder coarsely ground
2 tablespoons heavy cream
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh coriander leaves
Pinch of chilli powder
Pinch of salt

Note:Soak boondies in luke warm water for 5 minutes. Squeeze water gently from boondis or use a strainer to drain all the water. Keep boondis aside for later use.

Preparation:
Whisk/ Beat yogurt/dahi and heavy cream together to make it a smooth mixture. Add soaked boondi in the whisked yogurt along with all the above ingredients, mix them well. Garnish with sprinkles of black pepper and cilantro and refrigerate. Don’t leave at room temperature. Serve with rice and naan.

No comments: