Manjit

My photo
Zaikabharat brings you the authentic taste of India with mouthwatering, simple, and easy recipes. Cooking relieves stress for me, provides with an opportunity to be creative, boost my mood, and brings back wonderful memories of my mom's kitchen. I have been a culinary part-time instructor for several years in addition to my professional careers as a cancer research scientist, an educator, a healthcare administrator, and a community leader. I have done several cooking demos, TV shows, and I still continue to do so. I would like to share my cooking adventure through this blog and hope you enjoy these recipes.

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Lemon Rice



Ingredients:
2 cups basmati rice (soak rice in water for 10 minutes for good results)
2 tablespoons oil or butter
4 cups water
Pinch asafoetida powder (hing powder)
1/4 tsp mustard seeds
1 tablespoon lemon juice or one fresh lemon
2 teaspoons black gram/channa dal (yellow) split
1/3 teaspoon turmeric powder
1 tablespoon grated coconut (used for garnishing)
2 sliced green chillies
2 tablespoons roasted pea nuts (optional)
5-10 curry leaves
Salt to taste

Preparation:
Heat oil or butter in a pan.
Add channa dal and Shallow fry it to light brown.
Add mustard seeds (let them crackle), asafoetida, turmeric powder. Stir them properly.
Add water, green chillies and curry leaves and boil.
Add rice and salt to taste. Mix them well.
Pressure cook in one whistle or cook until water evaporates.
Garnish with grated coconut and coriander leaves.

No comments: