Manjit

My photo
Zaikabharat brings you the authentic taste of India with mouthwatering, simple, and easy recipes. Cooking relieves stress for me, provides with an opportunity to be creative, boost my mood, and brings back wonderful memories of my mom's kitchen. I have been a culinary part-time instructor for several years in addition to my professional careers as a cancer research scientist, an educator, a healthcare administrator, and a community leader. I have done several cooking demos, TV shows, and I still continue to do so. I would like to share my cooking adventure through this blog and hope you enjoy these recipes.

Thursday, July 28, 2011

Moong Dal


Ingredients:
1 cup dhuli moong dal (split green gram)
1/2 teaspoon chilli powder
1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 teaspoon coriander powder
2 tomatoes chopped finely
1 tablespoon butter or oil
1/4 teaspoon mustard seeds
3 red whole chillies
1 onion chopped
2-3 cloves of garlic chopped (optional)
1 inch ginger chopped
5-10 curry leaves
Pinch asafoetida (hing)
Salt to taste
1 tablespoon coriander leaves chopped to garnish

Preparation:
Wash dal and add salt, turmeric powder, chilli powder, garam masala, coriander powder, and tomatoes in a pressure cooker or in an open pan. Pressure cook with two whistles or in an open pan until smooth. Season dal as recipe below.

For Seasoning:
Heat butter or oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds (let it crackle), whole red chillies (gives flavor), cumin seeds, and asafoetida.
Add chopped onions, garlic, ginger and curry leaves until brown.
Add cooked dal and boil for 5 minutes.
Adjust salt according to taste.
Garnish it with fresh corinder leaves.
Serve it hot.

No comments: