Manjit

My photo
Zaikabharat brings you the authentic taste of India with mouthwatering, simple, and easy recipes. Cooking relieves stress for me, provides with an opportunity to be creative, boost my mood, and brings back wonderful memories of my mom's kitchen. I have been a culinary part-time instructor for several years in addition to my professional careers as a cancer research scientist, an educator, a healthcare administrator, and a community leader. I have done several cooking demos, TV shows, and I still continue to do so. I would like to share my cooking adventure through this blog and hope you enjoy these recipes.

Friday, August 12, 2011

Chicken Biryani


Ingredients:
1 pound chicken boneless or with bones, cut into 1 inch pieces.
1 cup basmati rice
3 tablespoons oil
3 bay leaves
1 inch cinnamon stick
4-5 cloves
1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
3 green cardamoms
2 medium size onions, sliced
1/2 teaspoon ginger paste
1/2 teaspoon garlic paste
4 green chillies, sliced
1/3 teaspoon red chilli powder
4-5 fresh mint leaves, chopped
1 teaspoon garam masala
1 teaspoon coriander powder
1 cup yogurt
Salt to taste
Fresh coriander leaves, chopped
2 onions, sliced and fried brown
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice

Preparation:
Boil rice and keep aside.
Heat oil in a pan/kadai. Add bay leaves, cloves, cinnamon stick, cumin seeds, and green cardamoms. Saute till they become brown.
Add onions and sauté. Add ginger and garlic paste. Saute until light brown.
Add yogurt, and chicken pieces. Mix well.
Add chilli powder, coriander powder, garam masala, sliced green chillies, mint leaves, coriander leaves, and salt. Cook for 4-5 minutes until chicken pieces are tender and masala starts to coat them.
Add boiled rice and the fried onions on top. Cover it with lid and cook on low heat for 2-3 minutes. Remove the lid, add fresh lemon juice, mix it and serve hot.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have tried this recipe and it is awesome

Manjit said...

I am glad you liked it. Thanks.